Before application read all instructions and fire warnings.
1. Prepare the surface. Wood should be clean, untreated, and sanded.
2. Stir Hard Wax Oil thoroughly to ensure a uniform consistency. Natural separation may occur.
3. Apply a thin coat of Hard Wax Oil with a cloth, brush, roller, or floor machine. Do not apply too thickly- the oil should penetrate the surface, not sit on top. Do not pour the oil onto the floor. Room temperature during application must be at least 50 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Wait 20-30 minutes after applying (keep in mind if applying in direct sun or at a high elevation the oil will dry quicker), and then polish with a clean, lint-free cloth. It is very important that no excess oil remains on the surface. Excess oil will lead to a rough, sticky surface. The oil should penetrate the wood and any excess should be removed during polishing.
5. Most applications require only one coat of Hard Wax Oil. Highly absorbent woods (i.e. soft woods such as pine) may require two coats. In some cases, the wood may become rough after the first coat. If the wood is rough, you should sand again before applying the second coat.
6. Use proper precautions when disposing of cloths soaked with Hard Wax Oil. Cloths used to apply the product must be spread out to dry in a firesafe location or sealed in an airtight glass container. Bunching the saturated cloth will increase the risk of self-ignition. Do not throw cloths soaked with Hard Wax Oil directly in the garbage. After dry, the cloths may be disposed of in the garbage.
7. If desired, you can achieve a glossier finish with added durability by following with Unearthed Carnauba Wax Emulsion.
8. Use the surface gently for the first couple of days following application. Hard Wax Oil continues to harden for one month following application. Do not walk over the treated floor for the first 24 hours following application (and longer if you apply at colder temperatures). For the first month after application, do not use water to clean the floor- sweep or vacuum only.
CARE & REPAIR
With proper care, Hard Wax Oil will last beautifully for many years. For routine cleaning, sweep or use a vacuum with a wood floor attachment. Use lukewarm water to clean (never hot water), and use only soft, cotton wipes. For regular maintenance and cleaning use lukewarm water with Unearthed Carnauba Wax Emulsion. To remove dirt that will not come off with water and Carnauba Wax Emulsion, use gentle, natural soaps such as Unearthed Marseille Soap. Do not use microfiber cloths or pads, which will wear away the oil. Wipe away any liquid spills as soon as possible- do not allow them to dry on the surface.
Unlike conventional plastic floor finishes, Unearthed Hard Wax Oil can be easily spot repaired. For repair of conventional floor finishes, the floor must first be entirely sanded down. If the floor’s original finish was done with Hard Wax Oil, simply sand the area in need and reapply the Hard Wax Oil.
WARNING: RISK OF FIRE
This product contains natural oils that may self-ignite while drying! Use extreme care due to risk of fire. Cloths used to apply the product must be spread out to dry in a firesafe location or sealed in an airtight glass container. Bunching the saturated cloth will increase the risk of self-ignition. Do not throw cloths soaked with Hard Wax Oil directly in the garbage. After dry, the cloths may be disposed of in the garbage.
Never pour Hard Wax Oil onto a floor! If it is poured, there is a risk of it seeping through the floor into insulating materials below, which can result in fire.
Before application, read all instructions and fire warnings.
Click here to download a more detailed product description and application guide.