Paint Application Tips
Not only are zero-VOC natural paints the healthiest, greenest paints on the market, they are also fun and easy to apply! At the same time, we understand that this is a new way to paint for many people, so here are a few tips:
Mixing and Tinting
- To tint the white base paint, first thoroughly dissolve the pre-measured pigment packet in water before mixing them into the paint. Make sure that there are no clumps. Pour the dissolved pigments into the liquid paint and stir thoroughly with a paint stirrer attachment for an electric drill or a handheld kitchen mixer.
- Allow powdered paints to sit after mixing. Unearthed powdered paints (Clay Paint, Clay Roll-On Plaster, Vega, and Plant Glue Paint) require a resting period after you mix them. Please see product data sheet for specific times. Stir again thoroughly after resting time.
- Feel free to thin the paint by adding a little more water to achieve the desired consistency. The amount of water we recommend that you add to our powdered paints is a good starting point. Depending on the surface and the brushes or rollers you use, you may find that you achieve a better consistency by adding a bit more water. Just be conservative, adding only a small amount at a time.
- Make sure that the surface you paint is clean and free of dust.
- Always finish a whole wall at once. Do not stop in the middle and allow the wall to dry before it is complete. This may result in an uneven finish.
- A wall should be painted using only one batch of paint. Minor variations in color may occur from gallon to gallon of natural paint. These variations will not be noticeable from wall to wall, but you should mix up enough paint so that you can finish one wall with the exact same mixed paint.
in mind that brushing on a paint may result in some texture (slightly
visible brushstrokes). Test a small, inconspicuous area to see if this
is a look you like. Otherwise, use a roller for a smoother finish.
(*Exception: Tinted Lime Paints cannot be rolled on.)
Apply the paint with a brush or roller using criss-cross strokes.
not be surprised if the mixed liquid paint appears darker than the color you
selected. Unearthed natural paints become lighter as they dry. If you are
concerned about the color and would like to see exactly what it will
look like before you apply, do a test surface and allow it to dry thoroughly. (Note that the paint may appear blotchy and uneven as it is drying.)
Use mixed paint promptly. Please see your paint’s product data sheet to determine how soon after mixing you must use it. For example, Vega paint should be used within the same day of mixing.
Do not be alarmed when your paint appears blotchy as it dries. This is normal for natural paints, and they will dry to a nice, uniform finish.
Natural paints become stronger over time. Try to treat your walls carefully in the days following application. Unearthed paints will become increasingly durable over time, which means that they will be much tougher a week after application than a day, and will become even stronger over the years.
Thoroughly read your paint's product description page before application, and don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or email if you need further assistance. We want to make your experience with natural paint a great one!